Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Driving Along a Country Road--By Robert L. Hinshaw--United States

Driving Along a Country Road

When I need an uplift for my weary soul and to clear my muddled mind,
I slowly cruise along a country road to see what treasures I might find.
I leave behind the frenzied traffic on the four-lane interstate,
To enjoy bucolic vistas along a gravel road, my languid soul to sate.

I see old barns with Mail Pouch Tobacco ads now faint due to age,
And remnants of Burma Shave signs with their charming adage.
Stately homes with white picket fences grace the country road,
With roses of every hue surrounding emerald lawns all neatly mowed.

I cross a rickety wooden bridge 'neath which country boys are fishing,
And pine for long ago summer days of youth - it sure gets me to wishing!
A lady waves to me as she hangs her laundry on the clothesline to dry.
A sign on the old country store reads, 'WAVE IF YOU CAN'T STOP BY!'

Farmers on John Deere tractors wave as they tend their fields of grain.
They sure kick up lots of dust and I reckon they're hoping for some rain.
I rolled down the windows to savor the wonderful scent of new-mown hay,
And slow to let an Amish family in their buggy move along the way.

Fat cattle graze on lush meadows, each with a meandering stream.
Horses gaze at me over fences as they look askance and dream.
I loathe interstates where folks think they're in the Indy 500-mile race.
I prefer old country roads where life is enjoyed at a much slower pace.

Robert L. Hinshaw served 30 years in the Air Force retiring in 1978 in the grade of Chief Master Sergeant. He began writing poetry in 2002 at age 72 and has composed over 1100 poems.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking me along with you on this pleasurable country drive, Robert! Excellent descriptive offering! ~ Regards // paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem, Robert. That second stanza brings back memories of when I was a kid and my grandfather had pouched tobacco. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete