Monday, January 30, 2017

What I Know Now--By Gary Glauber--United States

What I Know Now

Respect to the first grade boys
who I led inauspiciously
with proud false knowledge
to an unknown upstairs lavatory.
The pink walls seemed a trap
which corroded my confidence;
the missing urinals heightened
the intensity of the moment.
It took every ounce I could muster
to hurry us along, sweating
the milliseconds of our visit,
hoping I’d never be found out.

Gary Glauber is a poet, fiction writer, teacher, and former music journalist.  His works have received multiple Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net nominations. He champions the underdog to the melodic rhythms of obscure power pop. His collection, Small Consolations (Aldrich Press) is available through Amazon, as is a chapbook, Memory Marries Desire (Finishing Line Press). His next collection, Worth the Candle, is forthcoming from Five Oaks Press.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Gary,
    Really like the nostalgia this poem creates within me. 1st grade was a long time ago and yet your poem returns me there.
    Blessings,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can imagine the feeling of wanting the episode kept a secret. Good poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, thnaks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gary,

    What a joy to read the comments on your poem. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Best wishes with all your writing endeavors.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary,
    Nice insight into your childhood. Welcome to Whispers!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Gary, Your title got my attention, but content got my heart.
    Good writing.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete