Monday, February 3, 2014

February Fever--By Joyce Johnson--United States

February Fever

In the battle of the poets
Closeted within their dens,
Words their only ammunition,
Shooting from their ink filled pens,

Seeking phrase uniquely pretty
And an unused metaphor,
They have not the time to help me
Woo the one whom I adore.

You have loved me through the worries
You've stood by me through the pain.
I have found you there still waiting
When the world was bright again.

Without muse or bard assistance,
Am I equal to the game?
In trite words of adoration
Will the message be the same?

I can't say it grandiosely
As I show this love of mine.
The old hackneyed words must do then.
Will you be my Valentine?

Joyce Johnson lives in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State. She owns a small farm and rents her land to a bulb grower. She is surrounded by beauty in the spring from the tulips and daffodils that inspire much of her poetry. Joyce will celebrate her 95th birthday in July of 2013.

8 comments:

  1. What a great valentine message for your loved one. I love the imagery and the perfect flow. Really fine effort and result. Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! What a great Valentine message for the perfect time of year for a special poem. Gifts of self are the most loved and your talent shared in such a 'feeling' message, rings "grandiose" to me. So never doubt your ability to say it just right, because in my eyes you did a perfect job. Thank you for sharing your talent.
      Love, Charlene

      Delete
  3. Didn't expect the ending line - so Happy Valentine's Day to you!!! Great poetry...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joyce, You are my sweet friend, so of course you are my Valentine as well! I have trouble writing love poems (or expressing the love I used to know). But your message is "not the same" as many of the love poems I've read. It's even better. You touched my heart, Joyce. Three words, either "Be my Valentine" or "I Love You" mean so much to the one who hears or reads them. Blessings for a wonderful Valentine's day! Love, Carolyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Joyce,

    I want you to pick me. Like Carolyn said it's nice to read such originality on the old theme. Beautiful.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice read, Joyce. Certainly makes me look at the month of February in a more colorful way. Thank you for sharing this. Continued blessings!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Connie Marcum Wong, for the following comment--

    This poem made me smile a deep smile that connected to my heart. I loved it Joyce.

    Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete