Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Following the Bard--By Zona Rowand Lawrence--United States

Following the Bard

The sins our freedom allows us to do
Often so when I am away alone
Your youth, and gentle way me does behoove
To watch your lips, my thoughts I must atone
Your sweetness leads to the line of my heart
Handsome you are, and much to be desired
Thus if a man woos, how can he depart
Until he reaches what he has aspired
Oh dear, you might consider now my plight
Hear the plea for growing old together
Your presence is so special in my life
I do not expect to change the weather

You in your manner offers love to be
Pray your steadfastness will not lie to me

After many years as a stage performer, Zona found she enjoyed writing. She studies at Paradise Valley Community College.  Her work has appeared in several anthologies at the school and elsewhere. In 2004, she won $20,000.00 for her poem, “Indiscriminate Sestina.”  She and her husband, Jack, are creating a Diet by Poetry Journal to help whittle away those pounds with a little rhyming fun. Last year in the Paradise Review her poem, “If He Had Hit Me”, won third place and her one act play, “A Shaggy Dog Story”, won second place.

9 comments:

  1. Zona! I am totally ecstatic to see you and read your wonderful writings......... Welcome to Whispers my dear friend. Your sonnet is wonderful, as per usual, and as all your work does, pulls deeply at perfection! You are wonderful and amazing! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Whispers Zona! I am glad to see you already have a lovely comment from Sheri. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Congratulations on all your writing successes!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reading you - welcome to 'Whispers...' I know you will enjoy your stay here...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zona, this is a beautiful sonnet! And welcome to Whispers! Love the ending couplet, it is perfection. Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Zona, you keep the reader following closely to connect the dots and get the significance of your poem. Welocme to Whispers, lots of nice and talented people posting here. Bob H

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brilliant sonnet, Zona. Each line was thought-provoking. We can only hope that spoken words of love are backed by true feelings. Excellent write! Best wishes, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zona, welcome to Whispers. I truly enjoyed your thought provoking words. I detected the element of doubt that everyone has in any relationship while desiring at the same time to have for oneself a spouse or friend who is steadfast and true. A well written poem and thank you for sharing your talent with all of us here on Whispers. I know we will be blessed by your talent as well as you will be blessed to be here among so many caring and talented friends.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zona, "Following the Bard" is a wonderful poem filled with lines that cause one to think, as well as delight in the truth and meaning of the story the poem is telling. I really enjoyed reading and absorbing this poem. I would be honored if you would consider submitting some poetry to my publication, Creative Inspirations. More information can be viewed at the TGBTG! Publications website (link below), or you can get my address information from Karen. Continued blessings and hope to hear from you soon.

    P.S. Congratulations on your literary accomplishments. What great honors.


    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zona,
    A wonderfully written sonnet! Each line is sheer beauty!
    ~David Fox

    ReplyDelete