Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Memories of the Sea--By Andrea Dietrich--United States

Memories of the Sea

Memories of the sea wash over me
on days when clouds are drifting cottony
above my head through placid azure sky.
Such images flit like a butterfly
across my mind; I seize them gratefully!

They bring with them sweet thoughts of family
and times of which I now can testify
flowed out like tides to leave me by and by. . .
                                                 memories of the sea.

How young we were in days so summery!
Through waves we leapt, expending energy.
Sated, we lay sunning on the beach to dry,
till sunlight - like our youth - sank down to die.
But I will keep for an eternity
                                                memories of the sea.

Andrea Dietrich grew up in Iowa and now resides in Utah with a spouse and two cats. She has two grown children and six grandchildren. Having graduated BYU with a Spanish major/ESL minor, she has spent most of her adult life teaching. It wasn't until 2000 that she began writing in earnest and discovering her "niche" as a writer of lyrical poetry. The internet opened up a new world for her, and she has spent nearly a decade now participating in poetry clubs, acting as a judge of poetry contests for various magazines and for the website Shadow Poetry.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I do so agree. The sea/ocean is such a gorgeous place and way to meditate. Sometimes it can be so overwhelming! Beautiful poem, Andrea. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual your words express such beauty. I have missed your tender words and your incredible skill of writing. I shall be back to poetry soup sometime after I'm done with school. I'll have my poetry degree then. Woo-woo! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea...The ocean is my favorite place to meditate, stroll along & enjoy. So relaxing & peaceful! Thanks for your inspiring, descriptive words...Best wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, your last stanza really brought out the emotion in me. This is an amazing piece!
    Lovely! Aloha, Connie

    ReplyDelete