Friday, March 3, 2017

Do What's Right--By Emile Pinet--Canada

Do What's Right

Africa's soil is stained blood red,
by those buried beneath its sands.
And as Ebola spreads unchecked,
compassion's rationed by strange hands.

Poverty seals the children's fate,
when both their parents die of Aids.
For hope’s now their sole guardian,
and what little chance they had fades.

Disease waits within the shadows,
where death carries on without pause.
And hunger hurts even in sleep,
shredding stomachs with teeth and claws.

Love's, a sister drinking water,
offered by her thirsty brother.
And truth’s, a frightened little boy,
that’s now both father and mother.

We watch their pain and suffering,
broadcast into our homes each night.
And yet, so very few of us
pick up the phone, and do what's right.

Emile Pinet was born in a small city, (Bathurst) New Brunswick, Canada, the third eldest of thirteen children, ten girls and three boys. He is the product of a semi-dysfunctional family, brought up by a physically abusive and controlling father, versus a loving, nurturing mother. Many of his poems reflect the uniqueness of nature, which he loves, and his poetic observations of life in general. Emile is 66 years old and has been writing poems since he was about 35. The ideas started to come to him rapidly one day at work-- he decided to write them down and express himself through his poetry. 

10 comments:

  1. Emile, What a discrptive detailed writing. I like the conclusion, but
    still wounder what is right when contributing money is all we can do. I
    wonder how much of that contribution goes to aid those people in need.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wonder how much of that contribution goes to aid, however anything is better than nothing..sponsoring a child is a wonderful experience and must be an ongoing commitment to have a lasting effect...I have sponsored two children, a boy and a girl, from the ages of 8 until they reached 18 and I have never regretted it. Emile.

      Delete
    2. I am happy to know that Emile. If I ever have enough to sponser, I will keep that in mind. I have helped a lot of needful persons by taking them in. I taught one such petrson, who paid me a little for taking him in after he finally got on SSI to pay his rent before he spent any other
      money. He has lived in the same place for 10 years now, and
      reminds me often he is still there because he paid his rent
      first.
      Yancy

      Delete
  2. Dear Emile,
    Thank you for a poem that is not only well-crafted but one that also conveys an important message.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I appreciate your comments. Emile.

      Delete
  3. Emile,
    A great poem. Well-rhymed too. My rhyme always seems a bit off with the meter. I appreciate that can do it successfully.
    Yours truly,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I appreciate your encouraging comments, Emile.

      Delete
  4. Emile, a great powerful poem which brings us to mind the many problems Africa has. Well written, my friend!
    Yours,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. The plight of so many poor, unfortunate people comes out clearly in these lines, Emile. I am sure that many are those who donate money, food, clothes, etc, but it is the duty of political leaders to see that distribution of wealth, etc is done honestly!! Regards // paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just watching the terrible plight of the people of Sudan, on the news tonight. It is so sad. I know that 100% of all that I donate to the humanitarian effort in my church goes directly to people in these kinds of circumstances. Although it is a not much that I give each month I know it is better than nothing. How can I who am so blessed not give. Thank you for your well written poignant poem that made an impact especially having just watched the news. I have to ask myself can I do more?
    Sincerly, Charlen
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete