Thursday, March 2, 2017

The First Tear--By Caryl Calsyn--United States

The First Tear

I wiped away the first tear
from my newborn baby’s face.

In another place, another time,
you wiped away the first tear
that rolled down your baby’s cheek.

As new mothers, we could not know
that both our precious children
would die as young adults
in heart-wrenching ways.

In other places, at other times,
we each cried for our lost children.

But the first tear to fall
was not mine, nor later was it yours.

The first tear to fall—was God’s.

Caryl Calsyn is a retired Interior Designer with involvements in many areas including history, writing and singing groups. She has had a total of 86 poems published by nine different publications.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Caryl,
    Your poem is meaningful to me because a dear friend lost two lovely grandchildren; she too is a Godly woman who knows that the first tear belonged to the Lord.
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Caryl, with tears of loved ones wiped all the way through but the ending had me wipping tears of my own. I love this realistic imagitive writing.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caryl,
    A good poem. Congratulations on your successes. May you continue to get published, and if you want to pay the $8 fee, I would love to have you back in The Poet's Art.
    Yours truly,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete