Friday, February 24, 2017

I love you like…--By JD DeHart--United States

I love you like…

I should have loved you
ten years ago

Like I promised to
when I was too young
to know much about keeping
promises in the first place

When knowing you better
means loving you more,
it’s a nice combination

Maybe more than nice –
like, once in life, treasured,
like they said,

You will know it when
you find it.

JD DeHart is a writer and teacher. His chapbook, The Truth About Snails, is available from RedDashboard.

5 comments:

  1. JD,
    A great poem! Welcome to Whispers if you are new, a warm welcome from me even if you are not!
    Your new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. JD I really liked your well written poem. Thank you for sharing your talent.
    Sincerely, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem, I loved it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear JD,
    Thank you for giving our hearts more to think about concerning the timeless subject of love.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good catch 22 JD. Stages what most mortals experience as they grow and broden their horizon, with always the question, Will I win
    now that I know or lose because I didn't know. Very good writing.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete