Sunday, April 13, 2014

Quilted Memories--By Robert P. Hansen--United States

Quilted Memories

The pattern built from tortured strands of thread
has burrowed in the warm material;
It stretched its lengthy folds across the bed,
A haven from the bitterness and cold;
Its thick and ruddy contours rise and fall
To comfort each and every breath I take;
The earthy tones resound its friendly call,
The hue of which I never will forsake;
Its fraying edge is not from weakened seam;
Its age has brought more beauty to behold;
I draw it near to me, and, as I dream,
I feel its soft caresses on my soul.
My mother sewed each stitch with loving care:
I know she did; I always feel it there.

Robert P. Hansen teaches philosophy and ethics at a community college. His novel The Snodgrass Incident (excerpts of which have appeared in The Fifth Dimension and The Martian Wave), along with collections of his poetry and stories, is currently available on Kindle at amazon.com/author/rphansen.

9 comments:

  1. Robert, these beautiful and warm memories do spill from you heart onto the page with such flow and ease! Your word blanket, as it were, feels strong and with much depth, exposing your gentle soul....... welcome to Whispers! It is a joy to read you! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, this may seem unusual, but I am giving you two comments because I failed to reiterate that the soul, quilt of life is built also from sad and painful times. Yet, even writing of the sad and painful times is perceived as beautiful because we all know them. I felt the need to redefine my previous comments. Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Robert Dufresne, for the following comment--

    You have written a beautiful, nostalgic loving memory
    that has been stitched into the reality of the present.
    Excellent. I loved it Robert Hanson. Inspiring.

    Bob D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful poem, with age giving more beauty: a living weave. Loved it. Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Beth Winchcombe, for the following comment--

    I can feel the warmth and love that he feels knowing his mother stitched the quilt with loving care. This poem touches the heart of the reader with emotion.

    Beth Winchcombe - ENGLAND.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert this is such a lovely and sentimental poem and any mother would treasure it as a thank you from her son for her loving handwork. It almost brought a tear to my eye as I read it. A loving mother's heart is in the things she makes for her children, for no other reason than that she loves them. But it sure is an added bonus when her child will acknowledge even years down the road how much they appreciate and cherish their mother's gifts. Thank you for sharing such a meaningful poem to me as well as your talent.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Robert, I remember those quilts. I remember how my grandmother loved quilting. What memories your poem has triggered. Such a joy. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings, my friend!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi All--

    Thanks for the comments; I generally don't write sentimental poetry, but every now and then, one of this things creeps past my defenses.... :-)

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Eleanor Michael, for the following--

    Nicely done. May we all be so lucky as to own such a quilt.

    ReplyDelete