Thursday, November 30, 2017

Debt of Gratitude--By Kariuki wa Nyamu--Kenya

Debt of Gratitude

Baba, I owe you
Great debt of gratitude
For instilling in me self-belief, civility and humility 
Being a true testament of astuteness and dedication
A never-drying spring of fortunes and optimism
An epitome of integrity, peacefulness and gentleness
I’ll thus ceaselessly sing you this praise song
That reciprocates kindheartedness  
Days without end

baba—means father

Kariuki wa Nyamu, a Kenyan poet, radio playwright, editor and educator, studied English, Literature and Education at Makerere University, Uganda. He is published widely both in print and online. He recently co-authored a Children’s poetry and short story anthology titled When Children Dare to Dream and won the Babishai Niwe 2017 Haiku Award.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Kariuki, I really love your poem, especially the Praise Song you still sing for your father, may he rest in peace.
    Thank you for sharing!

    Best wishes
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Inge,

    Thanks for appreciating my praise song to Baba, my dear dad. Death only took him away from me physically, but spiritually he lives in me. I owe him a lot.

    Blessings,
    Kariuki wa Nyamu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks my dear high school buddy and classmate. Be blessed.

      Delete
  4. Dear Kariuki Was Nyamu.

    I love the dedication, great poem. Never forget to pass the great values and morals down to the next generation too.
    Congratulations. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my fellow poet, Kelvin Shachile for appreciating. And yes, I'm in the process of passing on the great values and morals down to the next generation...

      Delete