Monday, July 14, 2014

Overlook--By Cindy Evans--United States

Overlook

The little slight, the initiated fight,
The cross words for no reason,
The unwelcome look, a trespass took,
Words spoken out of season…
Lord, forgive them for they do not know
Quite what they say, what they do,
Let your example on the cross
Be the one that we look to...
May it be our cross to bear,
We can turn the other cheek.
May they be surprised by grace,
For You ask us to be meek,
To lay down our rights, our pride,
Without revenge or recompense.
You have told us in Your Word
It's our glory to overlook an offense!

Cindy Evans is a published poet living in the greater Atlanta area. She does receptionist work for corporate offices as well as at non-for-profits. She is happily married to her husband, Mark, and they enjoy ferris wheels, lighthouses, Christian movies and walking trails.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy. Very well-written and passionate poem you have shared with us. Your faith continues to shine through your writing and I am grateful for it. Always good reading and meditating on your work. Continued blessings! -MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Cindy, this is a wonderful definition of forgiveness. Beautiful words and super write. Welcome to Whispers! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Cindy Evans--

    Thank you to Maurice and Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy! Glad I stopped by to read this beautiful poem where your expression of faith is so clear and convincing. Take care. // paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your inspiring poem Cindy. It speaks volumes about how we are to forgive as the Lord has forgiven us. Thanks for sharing a lovely blessing! ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, I wish I could explain what your well written poem meant to me today. If I had read it any other day it would not have meant so much to me. I just finished facing offensive words for an hour, from an adult bipolar son, that could have sent me over the edge. However through the grace of God I did not take offense and was blessed by your words that confirmed God's instructions to me, many times as I searched the scriptures for answers. I was also reminded of a scripture in Isaiah, "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength". Thank you for your inspired poem and evident talent..
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Cindy Evans--

    please thank Paul and Christine and Charlene for me, they're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete