Thursday, August 7, 2014

Childhood Revisited--By Ronald Grognet--United States

Childhood Revisited

When I think of writing poetry
My skin crawls; my hair stands erect
Wondering if it's me only
Or the world of feeling that I reject

I think about my grandsons:
Good things all come in three.
It takes so little on their part
to make loving tears flow free

Their endless repertoire
Is never the same each day;
The latest tales reported,
Adorable things they do or say.

Similar feelings expressed to me
When I was a child adored;
Fond memories I recall
When exploring my treasure hoard

Though long gone at my age
My children's children channel instead.
My parents' love brought home again
Like a psychological return from the dead.

Ronald Grognet is a retired Clinical Psychologist who practiced private individual and family therapy for thirty-five years. He lived and worked in Washington D.C., and Sarasota, FL before retiring in New Orleans to be close to his grandsons. Besides his volunteer time spent on disaster assignments for the Red Cross, he fills his time devoted to haiku poetry. His interest in poetry came as a gift in retirement. Reading an article about haiku filled with many examples, he recognized its similarity to the reflective stance of the meditation he practiced for many years. He has vigorously pursued its study for the last two years, personally experiencing its healing and enlightening qualities.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ronald,

    It always seems amazing how we adore children even more as we get older. Indeed, they share many tales and it's hard to keep up with them at times.

    But, as you say poetically, they receive the wisdom handed down from their ancestors. "My parents' love brought home again Like a psychological return from the dead" are compelling lines. Let us always try to set good examples for our youth.

    Enjoyed your poem!

    Best wishes,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Isha Wagner, for the following--

    I find this poem wonderfully constructed, full to the brim with feelings. Love of grandchildren, love for parents, continuity of family and yet I find it sad in some ways : what I mean is the writer is a prisoner of love, locked in and singing his happiness in this state, Yes, we each one of us view things differently and this is my interpretation of this well-expressed poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem, Ronald. Children are a gift to this world and why anyone would think otherwise is beyond me! Love your poem! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. To see a man who appears to want to be tough as nails and yet is so tender, does my heart good. I enjoyed every word written and thank you for such a nostalgic write. Indeed seeing our grandchildren express themselves so fluently does remind us of our childhood days before we came to stuff our feelings for fear of not appearing to be in control or someone thinking less of us. A super write!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ronald. Nice poem. Nice reflection. Love these types of sentimental poems. They do the heart and memory good. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete