Monday, April 3, 2017

A Message in Sneakers--By Jean Calkins--United States

A Message in Sneakers

He hung there on a makeshift cross
And tears welled in my eyes ...
A tiny “Christ” in sneakers—
I could not criticize
The candlelight enactment
As young boys and girls portrayed
The tale of a loving Savior
And how He was betrayed.
Too often I am critical
And question things I see,
But a tiny Christ in sneakers
Brought the message home to me.

Jean, at 84, has been writing poems since she was 18. For 25 years she published a popular poetry quarterly of up to 100 pages, with a subscribership of nearly 500. Illness in 1986 ended the magazine. She published The Jokester, by email, a 2-page monthly of clean humor. Many of our Whispers’ contributors were published in various editions. October 2016 was her last issue. 

4 comments:

  1. Jean,
    An interesting way to depict the Easter holiday...at least I think that was what you were trying to evoke from this poem...correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yours truly,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jean,
    I sense a truly sensitive heart thru your poem.
    Thank you,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jean,
    Thanks for the reminder of the greatest
    gift to mankind ever given.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this & pictured a school play? lovely Easter poem, my friend x

    ReplyDelete