Monday, August 12, 2013

Soldier Coming Home--By Robert Hewett Sr.--United States

Soldier Coming Home

I’m a soldier coming home
I fought the fight, I was strong.
I did my best to right some wrongs
Home is now where I belong.
I can smell my wife’s home cooking
I see her smile, she’s so good looking.
I see her there at the gate waiting for me
Open arms outstretched for me to see.
War is hard and I did my due
I’m glad to say that I am through.
Some friends died there, it hurt me
They are in my heart and forever will be.
I love my country, I truly do
I wish everyone could have freedom too.
This land of ours is worth more than gold
I fought for dreams that I do hold.
This uniform has made me proud
It shows the world we can’t be bowed.
I salute our capitol dome,
I’m a soldier coming home.

Robert Hewett Sr. was born in 1933 on a Texas cotton farm. He moved to Oklahoma City at Age 14 and entered the U. S Army from there in 1953. Robert has been writing poetry and short stories for his family and himself since his teen years, but is just now publishing his collection of works. His hobbies include writing poetry and stories; clock and watch collections; gardening and growing flowers and shrubs from cuttings. Most of his poetry tells a story, a gift from his father who was a master story teller. He has received numerous awards for his work in his professional life and for his writing. You can find some of his writings at "roberthewettsr.hubpages.com"

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Words - God Bless Our Military...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such heartfelt words, Robert. Words I am sure all military personnel can empathise with. Thanks for the share.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete