Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Texting--By Robert L. Hinshaw--United States

Texting

My spouse and I were ushered to our table by the Maitre d'.
We noticed right off that it was strangely quiet as could be!

Zombies sat at their tables, heads bowed as if in meditation.
Many with glazed eyes as if in la la land under sedation!

I noticed that each held a small gadget in hand,
And deft thumbs clicked away to beat the band!

Each was 'texting' oblivious to family and friends.
Concentrating only on their 'receivings' and 'sends'!

Conversation was limited to an occasional, "Pass the salt, please!"
I was fearful of being tossed out of the place should I dare sneeze!

I mused, "Will future generations learn to text before they can walk?
Lord have mercy!  Will kids in the future even know how to talk!"

Robert L. Hinshaw served 30 years in the Air Force retiring in 1978 in the grade of Chief Master Sergeant. He began writing poetry in 2002 at age 72 and has composed over 1100 poems.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Robert,

    I enjoyed your observant, humorous write on texting. Very funny and as in your last stanza I'm starting to wonder the same thing!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Bob - isn't it awful. We need the modern version of check your guns at the door - check your cell phones at the door. How did this all happen?

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bob, your wit is always so uplifting. I don't have a cell phone that can be used to text because I told the manufacturer I didn't want it. People are relying too much on this technology and losing sight of the joy of camaraderie when we "talk" to other people. I fear for the next generation. Well done, my friend. Love, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete