Friday, September 20, 2013

When Mourning Dawns--By Poppy Herrin--United States

When Mourning Dawns

All day your name has been against my mind
and hurt me like the too frail loveliness
of pear blooms in the rain.

All night my voice undefined
has swung from star to star
to call you back.

Tomorrow I will know that you can’t come
and after that I won’t know anything
but small hard shells against my bare feet
and sand upon my lips at dawn.

Poppy Herrin is married to the love of her life Jason, and together they have four daughters and one grandson. She is originally from Laurel, Mississippi, but recently relocated to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. By day she makes a living as a medical transcriptionist, and by night she works toward living the dream as a writer. Her poems have appeared in many publications and have received various contest awards.

8 comments:

  1. Great title for your poetry - sad, but true. Well written bringing me to say - awwww!

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the imagery. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful comments. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Poppy,

    Good to have you with us. Welcome to Whispers! I'm glad to see you are enjoying the input on your poem. Look forward to sharing more of your poetry in the future. Keep up the good writing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. a touching piece. i enjoyed getting caught up in this poem, in a meloncholy way. is there a sequel? ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poppy,
    Definitely a sad piece, but one of great merit! Welcome to Whispers!
    Sincerely,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Poppy

    Oh my, this is so heart-wrenching. "Too frail loveliness of pear blooms in the rain" is brilliant in describing such a loss. I cannot tell you how this hits home for me and I wish you a future modicums of happiness - never the same but I savor the moments.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! More wonderful comments! Thank you so much! Ralph, I don't know if there's a sequel per se, but I bet if I look at the poems I have written since this one, it probably does have one somewhere. Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

    ReplyDelete