Monday, February 12, 2018

Michigan Mornings--By Jagari Mukherjee--India

Michigan Mornings

When I sweep the driveway
Each dawn, gathering the
Lime-green and soft-golden leaves
Hand-stitched by God, my memory
Sweeps me away to a few months ago
To cold Michigan mornings;
My sister and I sat on the balcony
On the cushioned swing, sipping
Hot tea and wearing zippered purple jackets
Looking at the tall sugar maple tree with
Powder-pink leaves, and the ground
Strewn with more rosy blossoms –
The lazy sun emerges late, starting
With a pink beam against the
Purple-black sky – then a pale violet hue
Spreads like a clock’s hands;
Finally, a translucent golden sky.

We drink more cups of tea to keep us warm
Till the end of the morning show.

Jagari Mukherjee is a bilingual poet from Kolkata, India. Her writings have appeared in several newspapers, magazines, anthologies, webzines, and blogs. Her first book, a collection of poems entitled Blue Rose, was published in May 2017.

4 comments:

  1. wonderful write.in my closed eyes can feel the cold through your write. god bless your pen .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jagari,

    Thank you for your poem, full of imagery, sitting on the balcony, enjoying each others's company. A lovely write.

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful picture your words paint

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jagari,

    You capture the essence of a fall time with your sister. I was born in Minnesota but have been living in North Dakota living most of my life, with my husband and my daughters. It is moments like you share in your poem that become cherished memories. Welcome to Whispers!

    I look forward to reading more of your poetry. Wishing you the best always.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete