Sunday, May 6, 2018

Morning--By Rick Davis--United States

Morning 

I woke up abruptly this morning
from a dream where I was
nineteen again, eating amidst
a stack of books –

When I was young I read nonstop
and I remember reading
as a seven year old while
an old nun sat behind a desk.

Sitting, listening to Marianne talk,
This morning settled around me
like a tender blue coat –

And in gray yellow sunlight
I possessed the vulnerability
of open water, falling into a rhythm
of silence, noticing little birds
flitting from tree to tree.
In sleepy Chicago sun,
under the slow flow of love.

Rick Davis graduated from Northeastern Illinois University, and several graduate schools.  He is married, is from Chicago, and worked in market research and urban ministry.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Rick. I enjoyed your poem, "Morning." I especially like the last two lines. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rick,

    Thank you for sharing your poem with us. Written with a lot of imagery, a joy to read.

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rick,

    It's good to see you already have some wonderful comments on your poem. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you enjoy your time spent with us. Best wishes with all your writing endeavors.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good Rick,
    I wake up abruptly every morning, often more than once
    Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick,
    A great poem! I love nature!
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete