Saturday, April 25, 2015

Birthday Wish, Croissant and Squirrel--By Laura M. Kaminski--United States

Birthday Wish, Croissant and Squirrel

for David Wright

Someone today is playing all the birds, tuning them up
for a winged concerto. Warm from the oven, a fresh croissant

exhales yeast and butter. What better gift on a still-crisp
April morning? The squirrels are not yet rejoicing, they’re

still living on old rations, last year’s broken hickories
gathered from beneath the mail box where the postman’s

Jeep has crushed their shells. For the squirrels, this
is when it’s lean, all things are just now greening,

all so far from seeds and harvest. But take this flaky
pastry and place it at the base of the creaking sugar maple,

adorn it with a dandelion blossom if you please, set a fine
table for that frumpy fellow watching from the branch.

Back away and give him space to gather up his bravery, rush
down the trunk and grab the gift, race back up skyward home.

Soon crumbs tumble, scatter soft upon the grass below,
manna falling from the sugar maple into new spring clover.

Delighted finches skip and taste. May your birthday be this way,
this kind of banquet. May even the crumbles of this day be joy.

Laura M. Kaminski grew up in northern Nigeria, went to school in New Orleans, and currently lives on Carver Creek in rural Missouri. She is an Associate Editor at Right Hand Pointing. More information about her poetry is available at arkofidentity.wordpress.com.

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful poem Laura!!! Where do I find one of these croissants? I already have a squirrel such as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warm words, Michael! I'm delighted you like this poem.

      Delete
    2. A lovely and tender poem, Laura. I rejoiced with the 'frumpy fellow' when the banquet was laid out and with the finches when those crumbs fell. Simply beautiful. Congratulations!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Robin. Last year around this time, David Wright posted a photograph of a squirrel moving toward a croissant. This poem is one of the "crumbs" that resulted from his sharing the photo, so I wanted to write an all-around celebration of sharing and gifts for his birthday.

      Delete
  2. Laura,
    What a delightful way to feed the squirrels. I am familiar with Right Hand Pointing as I get e-mail updates from it all the time. Maybe you would like to use this forum to put a short summary so people can submit? Just a suggestion...
    Your new friend,
    David Fox
    P.S. I almost forgot -- welcome to Whispers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks for the welcome! Glad to "meet" you, and glad to be here.

      Delete
  3. Dear Laura,

    It is so good to see you already have so many lovely comments on your wonderful poem. Welcome to Whispers! I hope you enjoy your time spent with us. I have a monthly ads column free to any current contributor. Let me know if you would like the guidelines.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would indeed, Karen. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. This is a pure joy to read, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it, Trish! Thank you for the encouraging words!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your work Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Laura! What a beautiful synopsis on "harmony in the world"!!! Love it! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Sheri!

      Delete
  7. Someone just received best birthday card ever. If a writer from Hallmark stumbles upon this masterpiece, he or she will probably sit down and cry.

    I have a love, hate relationships with my squirrels here. I live in a rural area. The little rodents have their run of the place, which is fine. We have more oak trees than lighting can decimate. Nature provides for the squirrel well here. Still, when my tomatoes come on, you can bet, those furry little scoundrels will be found in the garden, sampling the wares, taunting me all the while... But this year, I have a solution. I will plant extra tomato plants. That should confuse them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, thanks for this note...the vision of the squirrels being confused by EXTRA tomato plants gave me a much-needed and much-appreciated laugh.

      I really appreciate the encouraging words. David Wright is a poet whose work I really admire, and I wanted to honor his birthday with something suitable.

      To tell you the truth, I was rather intimidated to send it at first, but he was very gracious when he received it, and I'm most grateful to Karen / Whispers for sharing it here, and for all the kind comments from this community.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to Whispers, Laura. I loved reading your piece. It's unique and touching. Thank you for sharing it and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings, Maurice. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  9. Some days are better than others to find such fine poems. Today was a perfect day for this one --- it is all wonderful, and what a great closing: "May your birthday be this way,
    this kind of banquet. May even the crumbles of this day be joy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, I am always deeply honored when you take the time to read and respond to my poems. Thank you with all of my heart. -Laura

      Delete