Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Freedom--By Connie Marcum Wong--United States

Freedom

In solitude I dream tonight
And watch a moth in fevered flight.

It’s drawn toward my quaint porch light
And flies consumed with all its might.

Through open window I can see
Its desperation shared with me;

How freedom in this world is light—
And we as souls are drawn to fight.

Though freedom’s light may cause our death,
It’s worth the risk with every breath.

I understand the moth’s sad plight
When drawn to the glorious light.

Though it knows not of human trust,
It buzzes on because it must!

Connie Marcum Wong has been the Web Mistress of a private poetry forum Poetry for Thought since October 1999. Her poetry has been in many publications, anthologies, magazines, and e-zines over the years. She published her first poetry chapbook, Island Creations in 2005. In 2007, Heart Blossoms was published. In January 2010, an anthology, A Poetry Bridge to All Nations, was published by Lulu Enterprises, Inc. Connie created the 'Constanza' poetry form in 2007 and Con-Verse form in 2010. She has resided with her husband in Hawaii since 1980.

19 comments:

  1. Hello, Connie, your fine poem has a wonderful sing-song effect and so full of imagery and so picturesque. This is a wonderful word painting! Awesome to read! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sheri. I forgot to mention Jack as collaborator of your poem when I visited. You both created a little gem. Cheers, Connie

      Delete
  2. Wow, powerful, nice and smart poem. Job well done on the poem.

    Andrew Ntchindi Jere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Joann. Cheers, Connie

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Andrew. Very nice to meet you. Cheers, Connie

      Delete
  3. Hi Connie! This is a lovely poem with a sound message to go with it. Freedom is worth dying for. Love both imagery and rhyme. Have a lovely weekend. // paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Paul. My daughter has been visiting us here in Hawaii from California so I have been enjoying her and not been very active with poetry. It is always so nice to read your lovely comments. I hope you are keeping well my friend. Blessings, Connie

      Delete
  4. Hi Connie. "Freedom" touched my heart. Thank you so much for sharing it here at Whispers. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a moving comment Maurice. It is very much appreciated. Blessings, Connie

      Delete
  5. Wonderful poem Connie...inspiring from beginning to end! Best wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I feel so blessed to live in a country where I celebrate freedom every day and will never forget the sacrifices of others for that freedom. Cheers, Connie

      Delete
  6. Such a special content Connie. As usual you had all the qualities of a great poem.
    Sendin love,
    Yvonne
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend. Every day I see your picture with little Holly and it makes me smile. Your poetry always inspires me to be a better poet. I hope you are well and enjoying your lovely English spring. Hugs and love, Connie

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I thank you Jack and meant to mention how much I enjoyed your collaboration with Sheri when I left her a comment. Blessings, Connie

      Delete
  8. Connie--simultaneously playful and poignant. It was a delight to find your work here among a new group of writers.....Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Victoria. You know I am a fan of your poetry too. Cheers, Connie

      Delete
  9. Dear Connie,

    Such an insightful poem. Using the moth as a metaphor for us human beings striving for freedom you illustrate well what the price of freedom may come at a high price. An enjoyable read.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete