Friday, June 3, 2016

Daddy Love--By Judy Moskowitz--United States

Daddy Love

He came to me with broad shoulders
A straight back
Carrying many rolls of linoleum
Up and down old tenement stairs
Of yesterdays past
Strong legs a mustache
Always with a cigar
I learned to love the smell 
Of masculinity which he wore proudly
A ladies’ man for sure
He taught me the old standards
Irving Berlin and Gershwin
When he sang
He only sang to me
I wear his gene by choice
Taken the red eye
Through two marriages
But never found a facsimile
Santa Ana winds
Fire storms
Crossing the DMZ
Daddy love carried me on his back
Singing

Judy Moskowitz is a professional jazz pianist originally from N.Y.C. now residing in Florida.  She started writing poetry three years ago and has recently been published.   Her poems will be in an anthology book by Michael Lee Johnson.   She has also been published by Thepoetrycommunity and Indiana Voice Journal for the May edition. Music is in her veins alongside poetry.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful imagery with this piece Judy....thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute to your dad. It left me with a warm feeling of love. Thank you for sharing a part of you. Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Absolutely stunning piece of work, Judy. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete