Saturday, June 25, 2016

Grandpa’s Chocolate--By Alice Couch--United States

Grandpa’s Chocolate

When I think of chocolate,
I’m reminded of 1937 when Grandpa
would buy me fifty cents worth of candy.
Big chunks of Hershey’s like a bag full of boulders!

Every visit Mom would tell him,
“Dad I wish you wouldn’t do that,
you can’t afford it, and it only spoils her!”
Grandpa became conveniently deaf!

I always managed to eat enough to
coat lips and teeth... run rivulets down
my arms dusty from play, and soil my clothes.

When we got back to the house,
Mom put the rest in the ice box.
Somehow chocolate, I buy myself today
doesn’t taste the same.
I guess nothing beats the taste of memory.

Alice Couch is a retired nurse’s aide who spends her days playing with her dogs, Nibby and Squeakie, while writing poetry for her three children, four grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and four great great-grandchildren.  One of her stories published in Living with Children. She studied yoga and Buddhism and has a gift for blending the rational approach of the Western mind with the deep spiritual wisdom of the east in her poetry. She was named Noblesville’s Senior Poet Laureate in 2012.

5 comments:

  1. Alice, our daughter tells the same thing to my husband about giving our granddaughter candy, especially chocolate.
    He does tend to go a bit overboard, but he loves how happy it makes her. I can so easily see the scenario of what you have brilliantly described. This is a treasure, the memories I mean. Your lovely poem brought it all to life! Thank you. Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,
    My grandparents didn't spoil me with chocolate or candy, but they did buy it from me when I was selling it to raise money for my temple. They were overly generous with money, giving it to my sister, my cousins and I around the holidays or birthdays.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, I thoroughly enjoyed "Grandpa's Chocolate." Such memories I'm sure are etched into your heart for eternity. I especially like the line on "becoming conveniently deaf." I'm a grandpa now and I must admit that I sometimes become "conveniently deaf" when it come to spoiling my grandkids. Thank you for sharing this and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely poem to which I can relate, though through other things, not sweets. Great ending lines! Regards // paul

    ReplyDelete