Friday, May 24, 2013

Haiku--By Robert Epstein--United States

zen garden
nothing
stands out

~ 2007 Haiku Society of America Members' Anthology

checkout time is noon
I turn in the key
and everything else

~ Checkout Time is Noon: Death Awareness Haiku, 2012

cathedral quiet
in the closet
where she hides

~ Modern Haiku, 43.3, Autumn 2012

in pine shade
for a while I forget
this life will end

~ moonset journal, #7, 2010

ragged clouds
what it feels like
to hold a rake

~ The Heron's Nest, #12, 2010

Robert Epstein is a licensed psychologist who lives and works in the San Francisco Bay Area. He has edited several anthologies: The Breath of Surrender: A Collection of Recovery-Oriented Haiku; Dreams Wander On: Contemporary Poems of Death Awareness; and The Temple Bell Stops: Contemporary Poems of Grief, Loss and Change; as well as two books of haiku: Checkout Time is Noon: Death Awareness Haiku; and A Walk Around Spring Lake: Haiku.  He is currently editing another anthology, The Sacred in Contemporary Haiku, due to be released in 2014.

4 comments:

  1. The haiku is full of meaning, especially liking 'Checkout Time' - It is amazing with this simple poetry form how so few words can say so much. Excellent writing and thought...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Robert

    Your haiku are captivating and full of message in such a short venue. I'm not sure I can pick one as my favorite. (not that I have to) Maybe the last three popped out at me the most. Glad you are here.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your beautiful Haiku. I always find them compulsive to read, then, read them all again! I like the pine shade and the feeling of immortality it conveys. Best wishes
    ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Connie Marcum Wong, for the following comment--

    What magnificent haiku you have gifted us with. I bow to your talent! Blessings, Lotus

    ReplyDelete