Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Wakes Week, implemented in 1907--By Jack Horne--England

The Wakes Week, implemented in 1907

The busy time is winding down,
Our holiday is drawing near,
The mills and factories will close;
Oh, what a joyous time each year.

Just for a week we get to rest,
(Although we won’t get any pay),
And stroll the sands of Blackpool beach:
A week to live and love and play.

Yet all too soon the week will pass,
And work will fill our days again;
But till that time, let’s live it up,
With joie de vivre, come sun or rain.

Jack Horne enjoys reading and writing poetry.

7 comments:

  1. Great visual of a relaxing time - enjoy the down time...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack -

    What a great poem! How quickly holidays fly by. Of course I had to google the Wakes Week and Blackpool Beach. Guess Victorians were not sticks in the mud afterall. I thought everything went on behind closed doors.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack (Hmmm... sounds kinda threatening...)
    Anyway, nice poem... and interesting/informative...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carolyn Devonshire, for the following comment--

    Dear Jack, I never heard of Wakes Week before, but I love the thought of an entire city (or country) halting business for one week over the holidays. Wish we had that here. Love the way you describe how everyone enjoys this time so much. Love, Carolyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack,

    I've never heard of this holiday before either sounds great though and I know you will enjoy that time off. Enjoyed your poem my friend and keep up the great work!

    Love Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jack,

    Thank you so much for all the comments for other writers today. It is encouraging people like you that make Whispers possible. Your poem is amazing. I like the cultural perspective. Thank you, my friend, for sharing your words.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jack Clubb, for the following comment--

    My English grandmother often spoke of Blackpool so I was able to connect with this poem which is nicely done.

    ReplyDelete