Monday, June 1, 2015

The Secret of Happiness--By Ron Larson--United States

The Secret of Happiness

Having been told by an angel there was a wise man
Who was the happiest person of all on the earth,
The king summoned the man by imperial command
To discover why he couldn't even enjoy mirth.

When the wise man appeared, he simply shrugged his shoulders
And seemed slightly put-off by the eternal question.
When asked why, he said, "I just hope I'll not be bolder
Now that I'm deemed so special by the entire nation."

Nothing in excess.

Ron Larson is a retired community college professor (Ph.D.) and has had both fiction and non-fiction published in various journals over the years. He has been writing poetry for the last two years. His poems have been accepted by such diverse magazines as The American Dissident, Big Pulp, and WestWard Quarterly.

7 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Great job! Very well thought-out, philosophical poem.Welcome to Whispers! I believe I have seen your work in Coffee-Ground Breakfast, am I right?
    Yoir new friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ron,

    It's great to see you already have some wonderful thoughts from David. Welcome to Whispers! It is so good to have you with us. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Best wishes with all your writing endeavors.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ron. Welcome to Whispers. It is good to see your poetry here. I enjoyed "The Secret of Happiness." Thank you for sharing it and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your clever poem here tonight. This was a very intriguing and thought provoking piece. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catchy title there! Nice lines too. It had me pause for a few seconds. All the poems I have been reading this evening from Whispers have been quite thoughtful. Inspiring too.
    I enjoyed this poem and I wish I could translate what my heart captured but oh well... :)

    Welcome to Whispers Ron! We are glad to have your poems inspire and kiss our thoughts. Cheers!

    Su'eddie
    (http://sueddie.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, I absolutely agree, excess, gets us in trouble every time. Welcome to Whispers Ron and thank you for sharing your talent with us in this delightful, well written poem that reminds me of the importance of "moderation in all things". I loved your poem.
    Charlene .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this. Welcome to Whispers Ron! I hope to read more of your work. Aloha, Connie

    ReplyDelete