Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Evening--By Linda Hurdwell--England

My Evening

How I love the evening
Cool but sinking sun
Tiredly smiling down at me
Now my work is done

Whispers of life surround me
Butterflies whirl on by
Birds flap their wings carelessly
Soar into the sky

Hidden shades of autumn hue
Lean against my heart
Time to listen quietly
As the day departs.

So I see the evening
Push the light away
I see the dark descending
Shadows that can’t stay.

Linda Hurdwell has been a widow for 5 years.  She has two adult sons. Living in the English countryside, she takes her dog, Bessie, for a daily walks and that's where many of her poems and stories are born.  She has always loved writing and has a few short stories published.  Although now a pensioner,  she enjoys working with adults with learning disabilities and running a mencap social club once a week.  Her hobbies are writing, tap dancing, and going to the theatre or cinema with my friends.

6 comments:

  1. Linda Hurdwell,

    This poem is well written, that I can read several times, so sweet.

    I like this part.

    Hidden shades of autumn hue
    Lean against my heart
    Time to listen quietly
    As the day departs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lin -

    Hope you are doing well. I love picturing the night pushing the light away. The calm of "smiling down my work is done" brings me a kind of serenity.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Whispers of life surround me ". l like every word here, l admire the seamless constructions here. This is a beauty by any measure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A reminder of my love of evening too and the splendor of nature with it'. Beautifully written. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. The evening is such a calming effect, especially after on has had a busy day. Even thought I live alone, I enjoy my quiet time watching TV with my kitty Gracie - knowing our day is done and we together can start fresh again tomorrow...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
  6. well captured day and evening with seasonal tonality. a beautiful piece. thank you for sharing. Ralph.

    ReplyDelete