Friday, June 20, 2014

“Happy Father’s Day” My Mountain--By Arthur C. Ford--United States

“Happy Father’s Day”
My Mountain

(For My Father, Fred P. Ford,Sr.,1909-1988)

Standing there!!
Pointed curves all over.
Muscle bounded.
Your stillness is omnipotent,
streams of sweat
roll down your surface.
Caves within you
are your eyes.
Your top is white from longevity
when melting, it's your tears.
You shield us from the angry winds.
Seismic disturbances
make you growl!!!!!
But you are as gentle
as your foundation-my mother.
Yes, you are our protector!
Yes, you are our mountain!
And I love you
For you are my father.

Arthur C. Ford, Sr. is originally from New Orleans, LA., where he graduated from Southern University (S.U.N.O.). He studied Mathematics, Physics, Creative Writing (Poetry) and was a member of The Drama Society. He has traveled to 45 States, lived in Europe (Bruxelles, Belgium), and more recently spent 30 days doing missionary work and traveling throughout the country of India. He publishes a quarterly poetry newsletter entitled THE PEN(The Poetry Explosion Newsletter), and resides in Pittsburgh, PA.

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Ford, you poem is incredibly awesome and powerful! Your father, a mighty man in the eyes of his children, yet, tender and loving through a child's tears and fears! I love your beautiful poem! We are all so fortunate here at Whispers to have the opportunity to read all these wonderful submissions and postings! Thank you sharing and painting a wonderful word portrait of your Dad..... Sheri www/poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arthur,

    Your Father sounds like he was a great man and mentor to you. This is a wonderful tribute to him. Thank you for sharing your poem about him with us.

    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur,
    I read this on Maurice's website and now here. You also sent to this to me in an e-mail. My magazine isn't coming out until October...do you still want me to use it?
    David

    ReplyDelete