Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Proustian Moment--By Isha Wagner--New Zealand

A Proustian Moment

The madeleine moment when I too ceased to be
Contingent and mortal : asleep with drudgery and ennui
Not forgetting fear, grief, anguish
Walking down the dull empty street
Blind to magnificence of pink flowering trees..

Then a gentle breeze wafted a distinct odour
of frying tomatoes
Of a sudden my heaviness gone, seeing with
perfect clarity myself as a child at the bay
Camping with my father man, laughing as he cooked
a pan of fresh, fleshy, bright red tomatoes
In butter over a beach fire : cups of billy tea
Slices of white bread and we ate :
These were perfect moments

Now I am awake
Astounded at the beauty all around me

Isha Wagner is a New Zealand poet. She has resided in many countries including Iceland, Libya, India, and Australia.  She read some of her work at the VIII International Poetry Festival held in Granada, Nicaragua, in February 2012. She has had three collections of poetry published.

6 comments:

  1. This is a nice poem. I can feel the passion in writing it. Thank you for sharing, Isha. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this. It took me back to a time and a place that is near and dear to my heart, in memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Isha, for the wonderful memories you conjured up for me with my own dad who loved to brew up his own special concoctions over camp fires. The love I felt as he so happily stirred up his yummies for us to enjoy, will never be forgotten. I much appreciated the read and your talent.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of emotion expressed in this poem. It is like one must be pinched to "get out of the daydreaming" mode. A deep and deeply expressed write, my friend. Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to share your memories Isha:
    They took me back to times we went camping...nothing like eating in the outdoors and being in touch with Nature and beauty, It really does awaken our senses.
    Hugs,
    SuZ

    ReplyDelete