Monday, September 8, 2014

If I Were a Willow--By Andrea Dietrich--United States

If I Were a Willow

If I were a willow slowly dying,
the scent of water you would surely be.
My limbs would reach for you, softly sighing
if I were a willow slowly dying.
Would you linger, close beside me lying,
and would you let your sweetness nourish me
if I were a willow slowly dying?
The scent of water you would surely be.

Andrea Dietrich grew up in Iowa and now resides in Utah with a spouse and two cats. She has two grown children and six grandchildren. Having graduated BYU with a Spanish major/ESL minor, she has spent most of her adult life teaching. It wasn't until 2000 that she began writing in earnest and discovering her "niche" as a writer of lyrical poetry. The internet opened up a new world for her, and she has spent nearly a decade now participating in poetry clubs, acting as a judge of poetry contests for various magazines and for the website Shadow Poetry.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Andrea. this is just so beautiful, romantic and so visual. your talent is amazing. well done. hope you are ok my friend. take good care. my best wishes. Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful poem, Andrea... Most people I know, tend to dwell on the mighty oak tree, for its strength and prowess, but give me the willow any day. It will bend in any direction to weather a storm, and when the day finally comes for it to break, it bows out quietly, with grace and dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poem, Andrea. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the read Andrea. So romantic and sweet. I am a romantic at heart and this one did my soul good. I loved the imagery. Thank you for sharing your talent.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, this is so deeply written and expressed and gives great soul to the willow which is such a strong, yet delicate tree! What a great metaphor to use in the embrace of your words! Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Andrea,

    I appreciate your lovely poem, it is truly touching! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Love,

    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following--

    Andrea - what a sweet piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this well-written poem, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Dietrich - I adore the use of the willow and the water to deepen the illustrations of feelings in the painting this poem is.. Dutch greetings. Elly Wouterse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea:
    Weeping Willows are one of my favorite trees. I love the mood and images and flow of this poem. Glad you are sharing your talent on Whispers.
    Love,
    SuZ

    ReplyDelete