Sunday, September 14, 2014

Surprise! Surprise!--By Robert L. Hinshaw--United States

Surprise! Surprise!

His adoring wife told her hubby that she was with child.
He was so overjoyed he walked on air to put it mild!
He started making immediate plans for a handsome little boy,
That he could hunt and fish with and bring him untold joy.

A football, bat and baseball were on his shopping list;
A closet full of sports stuff, things he just could not resist.
He bought a box of cigars, the labels reading, “It’s a Boy!”
And painted the nursery a sickly blue, much to his wife's annoy.

They settled back to await the big event and he began to muse,
Upon the young lad's future and the career he might choose.
"Why, he'll be President of these United States I have no doubt,
Or perhaps a senator in Congress where he'll carry lots of clout."

"Maybe a four-star general in the Air Force wearing a suit of blue,
Or a famous research scientist finding a cure for the flu.
Hollywood, I'm sure, will call wanting to make him a star;
Perhaps a famous lawyer defending hapless souls before the bar."

Momma delivered a charming little bundle and what do you think?
She presented Papa with the cutest little girl all wrapped up in pink!
He tenderly cuddled and kissed her as he proudly proclaimed:
"President of these United States she'll be, the first to be so named!"

Robert L. Hinshaw served 30 years in the Air Force retiring in 1978 in the grade of Chief Master Sergeant. He began writing poetry in 2002 at age 72 and has composed over 1100 poems.

6 comments:

  1. another late starter like me! And the other thing we have in common is that my husband was in the Air Force here in NZ. I haven't managed to get to the 1100 poem mark yet though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this... It reminded me, that when I was born, so the story goes, my parents had to scramble to come up with a name for a boy, since they were so sure I was going to be a girl... As to whether I had a pink blanket in my early days, no one has ever said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert, I loved this well written, sweet and tender poem. A little girl can sure melt the heart of the toughest man. I could just picture Daddy holding his baby girl. Thank you for sharing your talent.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, they must not have had a sonogram! I would rather NOT know the gender, myself....... cute one! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid. A very enjoyable poem, Robert. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following--

    Bob - you're on fine witty form, my friend. We're both good - thanks for asking; hope you and Vera are well too

    ReplyDelete