Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ollie, Ollie--By Carl "Papa" Palmer--United States

Ollie, Ollie

Giggling, she runs from the family room couch
where I sit and count, both hands over my eyes.
“1,2,3,4,5 and 5 is 10. Ready or not, here I come.”

First, in the kitchen, opening and slamming cabinet
drawers and doors, “No, not here. Not here, either,”
repeated loudly lifting all four corners of the tablecloth,

again as I look under a chair cushion, behind the curtain,
then seek into the living room to flip pages of a book
on the shelf, “She's sure hiding good, where can she be?”

Muffled laughter in the closet, ever her same hiding spot,
as I pass the half open door, again not seeing her crouched
smiling presence as I continue my search into the hall.

“I wonder where that girl can be, I've looked everywhere.”
A tug on my pant leg, I turn around in wild surprise,
“Here I am, Papa, right here. See. You couldn't find me.”

“You certainly are a wonderful hider, much better than me.
Now it's my turn.” She counts with covered eyes as I slip
into the closet, same place I hid when her mommy was small.

Carl "Papa" Palmer, retired Army, retired FAA, now just plain retired, lives in University Place, Washington. He has seven chapbooks and a contest winning poem riding buses somewhere in Seattle. Carl has been nominated for the Micro Award and Pushcart Prize.

MOTTO: Long Weekends Forever
www.authorsden.com/carlpalmer

6 comments:

  1. Carl, your story is touching and so cute! I think, precious and sweet, too......... what loving, God-fearing human being wouldn't feel embraced by your words? Sheri / www.poetryandbeyond.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story was of my daughter and her daughters, Sheri, however my son and his sons have hidden in that same hiding place. Thanks for your kind response.

      Delete
  2. Carl, I absolutely love with your poem. It brought back so many memories that I had tucked away and forgotten. How sweet it is to remember those fun-loving times in my own family. Thank you for such a well written poem and for sharing your talent with us here on Whispers.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When hearing comments like this, Charlene, I am happy I am able to provide your smile, and mine.

      Delete
  3. Very touching poem, Carl. I like the flow and the way in which the story is conveyed. Nice job. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh... reliving youth... very nice

    ReplyDelete