Friday, December 6, 2013

Frankie’s Christmas Tree--By Robert Hewett Sr.--United States

Frankie’s Christmas Tree

Fred Blackman and Little Frankie sat by the fire at home.
Frankie, deformed since birth, bent, he could barely walk alone.
Frankie’s mother died that year, they were broke and very sad.
Frankie hoped to dress up a tree like he and his Mom had.

“Frankie, I don’t have money for any tree, live or dead.”
“I know dad, could we just go look before I go to bed.”
“Okay, Frankie, we will go to the tree lot and just look.”
Light snow and brisk wind made it seem like a scene in a book.

“We can’t afford to buy a tree; my son just wants to look.”
The owner stared at the bent body, his heart on a hook.
This boy should not go home without a real tree for free.
The owner smiled and said “I have a tree that I want you to see.”

Frankie looked at the frail little tree, the same height as he.
He smiled, “It’s perfect I can trim this tree; it’s just like me.”
“Thank you, Sir,” Frankie picked up the tree, smiled, happy and free.
Frankie thought, “Mom, look down, you will be proud of me and this tree.”

**********************
Author’s footnote: It takes so little to make Christmas Great.


Robert Hewett Sr. was born in 1933 on a Texas cotton farm. He moved to Oklahoma City at Age 14 and entered the U. S Army from there in 1953. Robert has been writing poetry and short stories for his family and himself since his teen years, but is just now publishing his collection of works. His hobbies include writing poetry and stories; clock and watch collections; gardening and growing flowers and shrubs from cuttings. Most of his poetry tells a story, a gift from his father who was a master story teller. He has received numerous awards for his work in his professional life and for his writing. You can find some of his writings at "roberthewettsr.hubpages.com"

14 comments:

  1. Dear Robert -

    Tears in my eyes at your beautiful story. One can't help but wish Frankie Christmas trees all year long.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a touching comment Kathy, thank you for feeling the intended sentiment.
      Hugs and Merry Christmas

      Delete
  2. Dear Robert, the story told so beautifully in this poem touched my heart and I still have tears in my eyes. I used to work on behalf of people with disabilities and know how hard they have to struggle to lead somewhat normal lives. How kind it was for the tree lot owner to let Frankie have the tree that no one else seemed to want. Just beautiful! This should be part of a Christmas movie. There are no words to express all the emotions it evokes in me. Bravo! Best wishes for a merry Christmas! Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I am deeply touched by your emotional reply. I hope my poem leads someone somewhere to do an act of kindness this Christmas season. Robert

      Delete
  3. Emotionally moving - your story reminds me of our real world with people not being able to purchase a tree - a kind soul hopefully like in your story will give a tree with love in their heart to someone in need this Christmas Season...

    Rhoda Galgiani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhoda, I hope something similar to this happens to a deserving person this year. Roboert

      Delete
  4. Robert, I love your take on the 'Charlie Brown Christmas tree!' The words are so heartfelt and uplifting as well as they pull at your heartstrings! You can't help but feel your eyes well up as you read this. Wonderful story poem! Love Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane for this wonderful comment. I can tell you have a caring heart.
      Merry Christmas to you and yours. Robert

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Linda Hurdwell, for the following comment--

    This is what Christmas is all about, There is something good about every-one – and every tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda, thanks for the uplifting comment.

      Delete
  6. I truly enjoyed reading this, taking me on a sentimental journey of my own when funds were few and friends were so giving. Thanks for the memories and this great poem.
    Love, Charlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those days in the lat 1930.s and 1940.s, living on a dirt farm with my father and three brothers little things made big impressions. Thanks for the sentimental comment. Bob

      Delete
    2. Robert, this is one of those poems that just warms your heart and makes you want to remember how just the little things like kindness can brighten someone's day. I graciously thank you for sharing this poem.

      -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
      TGBTG! Publications, Creative Inspirations
      www.tgbtgpublictions.com

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much Maurice, it warms my heart to read a review like yours.;
      Bob

      Delete