Sunday, December 1, 2013

Futility--By Brian Strand--England

Futility

             somewhere
red poppies
                   grow
fertilised
                 by blood
                 sun
and
         winter snow
lost
      freedoms
                      seed
on widow's
                    weeds
        sadness flows
to that
    no-man’s land
    where,
    there
         are,
              but crows

*An Open verse form is one where Classical poetry metre is replaced by cadence in rhythm, line indentation with pauses implied by the context, thus naturally incorporating the limiting factor of all poetry, the human breath.(Marianne Moore was a great exponent of this style)


Brian Strand has created short poetic forms including 'broken monoku' (a haiku variation) and 'footle' (a trochaic monometer with witty, topical, etc themes) and Captioned Cartoon, an Ekphrasis combining his art and poetic interests. He has published a seven kindle ebook series Poetic forms; A Strand of Verse; My Choice Strand Verse; A Strand Guide; Christianity Explained; A Strand critique; and Captioned Cartoon Ekphrasis. Brian has written nearly 200 Amazon reviews and is a Wiki poetry and art editor.

10 comments:

  1. Brian, Nice poem. I admire your creative touch in creating poetic forms. Continued blessings in all your writing endeavors.

    -MJ
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maurice for your kind comment.my exploration of poetic forms over the past decade or so I now see as a poetic apprenticeship that led me to my structured verse and phrasis genre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely verses. I look out for your work. I like the line, 'widow's weeds'. thanks for sharing this piece. ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    Brian - clever and creative

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, thank you for a very interestingly creative poem. I had no idea there are so many different styles and forms of poetry to explore. I am just beginning my exploration and find the possibilities exhilarating. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. They can indeed Charlene all my poetic explorations have happened since my 65th birthday.Thank you Ralph and Jack for your encouraging words.Rgds Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this very interesting in terms of form, but I'm more struck by the starkness of the words and imagery. A very apt title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed Amichele as with all poetry (whatever the form),the content is its reason to be.Rgds Brian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Brian, your awesome poem reminded me of "In Flanders' Field the Poppies Grow." There is a lot of blood spilled in wars that sinks beneath the earth and is camouflaged by plant life. Excellent writing. Have a merry Christmas! Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Carolyn,nice to hear from you,yes the poppy is an evocative symbol of the futility of the Great War.Chistmas greetings.rgds Brian

    ReplyDelete