Monday, December 9, 2013

Special Feature Collaborative Poem--By Beth Winchcombe and Jack Horne--England

Janus

To say I've no regrets would be a lie.
The pace of life is too fast for me
in the 21st century.
With age comes wisdom:
I'm now called the Wise Owl.
That mirror in the bathroom tells no lies;
however, it can surprise.
When did my blonde locks turn to grey?
Past memories are vibrant;
yet last week's have faded.
I've more memories to look back on
than events to look forward to.
My mind is energetic;
my body refuses to cooperate.
The voice doesn't age like the body.
Friendship becomes more valuable than possessions.
I live and breathe with caution.
My sensitivity causes hurt feelings.
I'm fragile, afraid of falling.

I look forward to future happiness,
hoping to fulfill ambitions and dreams.
Thankful for family and friends,
and rejoicing in my life's little triumphs,
I rise to meet fresh challenges.
Shutting out the sadness of the past,
I give closure to love that is gone.
Brutal blows, as well as happy nostalgia,
shaped the person I am:
have made me...
...me.

Just like Janus,
we all stand at a point between past and future
and while looking back and looking forward,
maybe we should live for today.

8 comments:

  1. What an accomplishment. I loved the culmination of the poem with these words.

    "we all stand at a point between past and future
    and while looking back and looking forward,
    maybe we should live for today."

    These words remind me of a Francis Gray quote, "“Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day.”

    Thank you for sharing a super piece of work. I really enjoyed the read.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collaboration!!! Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely, we still feel young inside as we age -- then we look in the mirror and wonder when our faces changed. Jack and Beth, you are right! Friendships become more important as we age. I like the uplifting way the poem changed. Hope is what many people need most now. Awesome writing! Love, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, David Austin, for the following comment--

    My congrats, to Beth and Jack. Love, daver

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent summation of time's cycle and I pray for each of us to be able to live in today while still enjoying the memories that shaped us.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jack and Beth,

    What a great co-write you've done together that we can all relate to. Congratulations on having your co-write featured and hope to see more.

    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    many thanks to everyone who read our poem and especially to those who left a comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jack and Beth. I enjoyed your collaboration.

    --Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications, Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete