Monday, August 1, 2016

Arthur Koestler (author) in London--By Isha Wagner--New Zealand

Arthur Koestler (author) in London

His bright gaze leers into my young face
curiosity crinkling his wrinkly eyes
I was beautiful but unaware of it
I thought he was handsome but old
You're shy, he says directly with a smile.

Earls Court, magical in a dreary way
To a colonial seeking something else
Never much to eat, my student friends hungry
But Arthur had food to share around

Vodka, bread, salami, oh how delicious

Do you know my definition of shyness?
I shook my head not knowing what to say

It's the inability to think of anything but yourself
Shock treatment for this innocent abroad

Remembrance of Koestler, long deceased.

Isha Wagner is a New Zealand poet. She has resided in many countries including Iceland, Libya, India, and Australia.  She read some of her work at the VIII International Poetry Festival held in Granada, Nicaragua, in February 2012. She has had three collections of poetry published. 

4 comments:

  1. it is beautiful when some one admired can have such a profound influence that their memory never leaves us. A lovely tribute to undoubtly a great poet and a wise man Isha. I will remember what he taught you. Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read some of his books and imagine that he was an urbane, old-school gentleman. Your poem is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poem, Isha. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isha,
    I don't drink, but I love salami!
    ~Davidf

    ReplyDelete