Monday, August 8, 2016

The American Way--By Alan McAlpine Douglas--United Kingdom

The American Way

What do I do when visiting Los Angeles
not add to traffic and pollution
or hire a car ? No contest -
the American way to get around

Choose my moment, 4 a.m. is pretty good,
by six freeway is misnamed, movement measured in yards.
But get anywhere, there’s some thing there -
created the American way in countless songs and flicks

L A’s positively a repository of the American way
a welcome of energy activity and glamour;
driving, lost, but vaguely in a right direction
I find that one essential more :

truly the American way to make my heart stop;
hidden by roadside greenery a faded sign
brings tears of joy, for abandoned in the American way
as no longer important, but forever so to me

A shield on a lopsided pole leaps out, then gone
and on that shield, my symbol of the American way
are those trusted, rusted, magic, nostalgia-kicking words
and yes, I got my kicks, on “Route 66” !

Alan McAlpine Douglas, father to 5 and grandfather to 3, has been writing poetry since 1993. His idiosyncratic voice has produced thousands of poems in this time, and he finds it quite hard to stay serious, even when he means to. He also enjoys writing spoofs, using well-known poems or songs like Clementine or In the Ghetto as his models.

3 comments:

  1. Nice poem, Alan. I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan,
    This made me smile. I thoroughly enjoyed this!
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete