Monday, August 29, 2016

The First Stone--By Dan Tharp----United States

The First Stone

My self-righteous indignation
is short lived

when I ponder the peril
of my own transgressions
precariously perched upon
the pedestal of pride.

Perhaps I shall find repentance
in the hour of recognition
of the reckoning awaiting us all.

May a kind hearted and gracious God
find room in His heart to grant us the gift
of repentance; the gift of forgiveness

to a sinful society, socially
adept to aberrant behavior. 

And, as was written by some ancient sage,
on a piece of parchment
later to become a small portion
of the biblical standard,

"let he who is without sin
cast the first stone.”

Dan Tharp is the author of four books of poetry, 3 of which are in chapbook form... Side by Side, Yielding Desire to Fate, A Season Made for Wondering and A Rose in the Briar Patch. Dan resides in Southern California.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent message with this one, Dan, and I need to be reminded of it every day. It's so easy to cast that stone sometimes, but I try to remind myself that I need to cast more acceptance and forgiveness if I expect to be granted the same. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right, Poppy. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. Dan,
    I ty not to judge, but sometimes I have to remember this phrase before I say something.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,
    I try not to judge, but sometimes I have to remember this phrase before I say something.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete