Saturday, August 27, 2016

Learning the Organ--By Alice Couch--United States

Learning the Organ

Oh, if only! I thought one day,
a church organ I could play.

This idea throbbed in my head,
had me toss and turnabout in bed.

So, music lessons for two years,
soon help me overcome my fears.

Volunteered at church at last to play,
background, then singing one day.

For five years, I enjoyed myself,
until retirement put me on the shelf.

Now, I sit and reminisce about the way,
I said, “Oh, if only!”  and learned to play.

Alice Couch is a retired nurse’s aide who spends her days playing with her dogs, Nibby and Squeakie, while writing poetry for her three children, four grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and four great great-grandchildren.  One of her stories published in Living with Children. She studied yoga and Buddhism and has a gift for blending the rational approach of the Western mind with the deep spiritual wisdom of the east in her poetry. She was named Noblesville’s Senior Poet Laureate in 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alice
    Your poem resonates with me as I think the organ well-played is a beautiful door that opens praise to God.
    Very nice poem.

    ReplyDelete