Thursday, August 4, 2016

Ullswater--By Paul Callus--Malta

Ullswater

It was around mid April
The weather almost fair.
The song of nature calling
Came flowing through the air.

The splendour of the mountains:
Their charm could not resist
And even more enchanting
When shrouded in the mist.

The hues, the shades and fragrance
The glades, the woods and rills
The lake serene and peaceful,
The undulating hills....

The sight – so captivating
How could my heart not melt!
Spiritual and romantic;
I know how Wordsworth felt.

Across the miles I miss the beauty
Of the wealth I left behind
But at least there are the memories
In the corners of my mind

Paul Callus is a Maltese author who writes both in Maltese and English. He has contributed to several anthologies. Apart from poetry he writes lyrics for songs and has published two books, one a story book aimed at children (related to his experience as a teacher) and a historical book based on research.

6 comments:

  1. Paul,
    This is beautifully worded, even though the last stanza is a little sad...A good poem throughout.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely and encouraging feedback, David. Best regards // paul

      Delete
  2. A beautiful poem, Paul. I especially love the Wordsworth mention. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maurice. Wordsworth will always be one of my favourite writers. Blessings ~ paul

      Delete
  3. Hi Paul,
    As you know I loved this beautiful poem about my favorite
    part of England. Headed up thst way next week, and towards
    Ullswater and off to Scotland.
    I have been to the home of Wordsworth, the museum of his
    manuscripts and graves of the family in the church in
    Grasmere. I love his portry.
    Love,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by to reread this poem, Yvonne. Your support and lovely comments are very much appreciated. It's been 3 years since I last visited the Lake District. I hope you'll enjoy your vacation; Scotland is also very beautiful...I love the Highlands! Love ~ Paul

    ReplyDelete