Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Haiku--By Robert Epstein--United States

dog park
she points out the one
with the wagging heart
____________

my first sunrise her text
____________

backyard baking
the 4 year old's brown cake
grittier than mom's
____________

in tears
walking down the aisle with her
Home Depot
____________
sweeter than
the cafe fruit salad
her golden delicious smile

Robert Epstein is a licensed psychologist who lives and works in the San Francisco Bay Area. He has edited several anthologies: The Breath of Surrender: A Collection of Recovery-Oriented Haiku; Dreams Wander On: Contemporary Poems of Death Awareness; and The Temple Bell Stops: Contemporary Poems of Grief, Loss and Change; as well as two books of haiku: Checkout Time is Noon: Death Awareness Haiku; and A Walk Around Spring Lake: Haiku.  He is currently editing another anthology, The Sacred in Contemporary Haiku, due to be released in 2014.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Robert,

    I enjoyed reading your Haiku today I especially enjoyed the first haiku very sweet. Thank you for sharing your work with us today.

    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Robert, there is something very endearingly precious about your Haiku and how embrace them all with warmth and love. Very ingeniously and creatively written. And, of course, the Haiku in its brevity - quite powerful and memorable. Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Robert:

    I enjoyed reading your haiku and particularly liked the third one. Nicely done.

    Chen-ou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly enjoyed reading your haiku and for me the third one evoked memories of my back yard baking when I was 4 yrs old. My dear daddy had built me a special shelf by the side of the house that I could place my tin cans and spoons and fill them with dirt and water to make my own special cakes. I do believe I tried to taste one once and found them much too gritty. :) Thanks for the memories. Loved all the poems.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, Charlene! We used to gather acorn tops and cover them with mud. Then try to convince our little brother they were chocolate kisses. Must be he never tried one because I don't recall getting in trouble. ;) Thanks for the memories, Robert!

      Delete
  5. I like them all! But the one that begins "in tears" had me chuckling. Love it! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haiku, Robert. I especially like the last one. Thanks for sharing and continued blessings!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www/tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Robert -

    You haiku are so gentle, eye widening. Walking down the aisle next Home Depot produced such a laugh I can still not get over it.

    love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Robert Dufresne, for the following comment--

    Hi Robert, your first Haiku was all I needed. Wonderful . A real treat.

    Bob D

    ReplyDelete