Friday, March 7, 2014

Only I Decide My Fate--By Kathryn McLoughlin Collins--United States

Only I Decide My Fate

At times when I am dark and deep
joy but flickering dim,
I upon the portal keep
stilled like phantom limb.

Stood in life’s predicament
immobile on the sill,
I wait for grand encouragement,
to warm this awful chill.

If frozen at the brink I stand,
persist in stagnant stall,
my feet will melt to silken sand.
gone my soul, my all.

Born in 1945, Kathryn Collins is a native New Yorker now living in Connecticut whose works have been described as “a gentle sort of poetry” by the editor of her first book No Need for Breadcrumbs, published by BeWrite Books, 2004. Her work has also appeared in numerous anthologies. Inspired by her beloved grandmother, she developed a great love of poetry at an early age and has been writing for 20 years.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely and soft poem, soft like a sweet, gentle breeze. I love the ocean and this takes me to those times and that moment........ Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kathryn, there are many of us at that portal with you. These feelings you express so well are deep and meaningful. The stagnant stall of which you write is something I often experience. However, I have to believe that my faith, my soul, will remain with me. Awesome poem from a great writer! Love and blessings, Carolyn Devonshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this, you expressed well a feeling many of us have experienced at one time or another.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That deep feeling of lack of joy is such an all consuming darkness that one can hardly come out of and is surely felt at one time or another by many. It reminds me I do not want to go there any more. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with all of us here on Whispers.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kathy,

    Such a well expressed write of the darkness that consumes us all during perods of our lives. All we can do sometimes is to hold onto to the faith that someday soon things will get better. Thank you for sharing this poem with us I really enjoy poetry.

    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I meant I really enjoy reading your poetry

      Sandra

      Delete
  6. Oh Kathy, I really love this... sometimes 'on the brink', I try to realize that "only I decide my fate"... and things get better... Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jack Horne, for the following comment--

    love this heartfelt poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kathryn, for the reminder that we have the ability to choose to not accept the curve balls life often throws at us. Nice poem. Thanks for sharing.

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Gerald Heyder, for the following comment--

    Dear Kathy--It's been written and said that we are all captains of our ships, but a higher power directs our navigation. Your poem has great rhyme and meter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Eleanor Michael, for the following comment--

    The title fits the poem. The struggle is communicated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, John Williams, for the following comment--

    Nice work and stirring words. I have experienced similar decisions. Thanks for your poem.

    ReplyDelete