Tuesday, March 25, 2014

When I See the Mountains--By Elizabeth Howard--United States

When I See the Mountains

  I will lift up my eyes to the hills,
      from whence cometh my help

                      Psalms 121:1

Sunrise over the ocean, we sit
on the balcony praising the glory
until the heat rises. Sand fleas,
sunburns, jellyfish, boisterous
crowds, a misery, this August.
Even the children are weary.
We head home early, miles
and miles of interstate,
the only view pine trees.

When we round a bend and see
mountains, misery flows away,
peace settles in my marrow.
I am home again,
my spirit comforted.

Elizabeth Howard lives in Crossville, Tennessee. She writes poetry and fiction. Her poems have appeared in Comstock Review, Big Muddy, Appalachian Heritage, Cold Mountain Review, Poem, Still, Mobius, Now & Then, Slant, and other journals.

6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, indeed you are so blessed to have such a grand view at your immediate disposal! And, it has not gone to waste as you share the inspiration in such a lovely and visual poem! It is also a great metaphor for consolation as we view the greater aspect of God's fine work which raises us up! Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,

    It's good to see you already have a lovely comment on your wonderful poem. Welcome to Whispers. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Best wishes with all your writing endeavors. Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, welcome to Whispers. I know you will enjoy your time here on Whispers. So many wonderful people to share your talent with and it is apparent. I certainly enjoyed your poem and will look forward to reading more of them. Indeed there is no place like home and hope you will find a 'home' here with all of us on Whispers.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elizabeth,
    Thank you for sharing this visit to the beach. My family had many such trips when I was a child. We didn't see mountains when we returned, but that must have been a great comfort to you and your family. You write with skill and passion. It's a blessing to have another great writer here on "Whispers." Welcome to the site! Best wishes, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elizabeth, I know just what you mean. I live near the Catskills. And when we've been on trips south, there's nothing like coming over the rise to see the mountains looming, beckoning us home. Thanks for sharing this lovely poem, and welcome to Whispers! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth. I enjoyed "When I See The Mountains." I love the leading scripture verse and I feel the words within my soul. Great job. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -Maurice J. Reynolds, Owner / Editor
    TGBTG! Publications / Creative Inspirations
    www.tgbtgpublictions.com

    ReplyDelete