Family Feature Submission Guidelines
In an effort to increase opportunities for contributors and other writers, Whispers is offering an opportunity for sharing family poetry. The submission must come from a current contributor with permission from the contributor or family member to publish any poetry. Parental consent is needed for any writers under the age of 18.
1. Submissions of unpublished and previously published work is acceptable. Please do not send quotes from others unless they are in the context of the piece submitted and that the original author is given credit. It is up to the authors to obtain permission if needed for reprints. By submitting to Whispers, the writers are assuring that the work is eligible for publication at our online journal. Whispers reserves the right to delete any work that has been copied from other writers without credit or authorization.
2. Send one poem 20 lines or less if submitting an individual family member’s poem. Thoughts from the current contributor are welcome. Please also send a bio of the author written from the third person perspective if available. After the initial feature, person featured is eligible for individual poem publication per the guidelines available at Whispers.
3. Current contributors are also eligible for collaborative poetry with family members, 30 lines or less. This will be a onetime relationship, example father-daughter, uncle-niece, etc. A contributor can submit poems with different family members such as mother-daughter, mother-son. This is a new opportunity so even if poetry has been featured in a collaborative feature in the past, writers are eligible for this opportunity.
4. These features will be in addition to the regular submission opportunities. Any writer submitting for a feature will still be able to submit a single author poem every other month.
5. No profanity, erotica, violence or other derogatory writing will be accepted.
6. Whispers reserves the right to select poetry based on the goal stated at the end of the guidelines.
7. Spiritual poetry is welcomed but the editor would like to have a variety of pieces that will uplift and inspire readers. Humor is appreciated.
8. Poetry will be published along the left margin for consistency. Please keep that in mind when submitting.
9. Preferred method of submission is to send poetry as a works document or in the body of an email with your name and country. Please email your submission to Karen O’Leary at email@example.com If you would rather submit by snail mail, please email Karen for her address. You may email her with any questions you may have.
10. I hope you also participate by commenting on others’ writing.
In this challenging time for many, it is the hope that Whispers will connect people in a way that is supportive, encouraging and inspiring to others. Thank you for considering being a part of this community.