Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Not Just a Dress--By Caryl Calsyn--United States

Not Just a Dress

Mother and I walked by the window
of a store named Jack and Jill.

Never in all my six years
had I seen a prettier dress—
white eyelet, ruffles and lace.

I didn’t ask if I could have it,
because I knew times were hard.

A few days later, to my amazement,
my mother gave me that adored dress.

For some unknown reason she could
not say she loved me or give me a hug.

But my white eyelet dress had love,
in invisible letters, written all over it.

Caryl Calsyn is a retired Interior Designer with involvements in many areas including history, writing and singing groups. She has had a total of 86 poems published by nine different publications.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Caryl,
    What a touching poem.
    Wonderful the different ways love can be shown, if not always verbalized.
    Blessings,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Story Caryl in "not just a dress". I bet the gift relaxed
    you and took away most of your stress. I like your writing, you
    express your self well. Keep on writing casting your magic spell.
    Yancy

    ReplyDelete