Sunday, March 18, 2018

Not the 42 bus--By Nick Spargo--United Kingdom

Not the 42 bus

The sky said summer,
The bare trees disagreed;
The river agreed with the sky,
And a hazy mist said early spring,
Or maybe autumn;
But the wind and the chilly air said,
No, it’s winter, believe it.

The Saltash bus gave me the time
To write those first lines.
In the barber’s the resident cat yawns lazily
While the radio plays 'One Fine Day' by Sting;
I think back to that day when Andrea Patterson
Told me she loved me, it took me rather by surprise;
I told her that I didn’t love her, quite bluntly;
Seven-year-olds not being renowned
For their tact and diplomacy.

Funny how your thoughts wander,
But Sting had it right with One Fine Day,
Because it is, it’s coming up to Christmas,
And I have it to play with, to enjoy, to live.

Nick Spargo writes poetry, short stories and monologues. He has been published extensively and has won a number of prizes with his work. He lives in the South-West of England.

8 comments:

  1. Liked the poem, but why is it called Not the 42 bus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a silly story really, a friend of mine writes a lot of her poetry as she goes to work on the number 42 bus. I wrote this on the bus going to Saltash to get a haircut but it wasn't the number 42 so I just called it Not the 42 bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nick,

    I enjoyed reading the poem, which is a little story. I especially like it when you told Andrea, you didn't love her and in the next line it's obvious it has been said by a child.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Best wishes,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inge, thank you so much. I'm glad you liked it, thank you as well for your help and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jack, it's a Waterfront Writer, Sarah Boulton-Way, who writes poetry on the 42 Bus and it was thinking about what she did that got me started on this poem. I must admit, though, I did wonder at the time whatever happened to Andrea Patterson?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice writing, Nick. You conveyed your poem's story well. I really like the 7-year-old reaction with Andrea, lol. Thank you for sharing this. Continued blessings!

    -MJ
    (www.creativeinspirationspp.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maurice, thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.

      Delete