Friday, March 16, 2018

Thoughts From Whispers' Activity Features Editor--By Jack Horne--England

Dear Whispers’ Family,

I hope, like me, you find being part of our Whispers community rewarding. I wonder how many of you also belong to local writing groups. 

Giving and receiving feedback is a crucial part of the learning process. Constructive advice can be incredibly helpful, seeing how and why someone else's poetry works can be enlightening. 

I joined the Waterfront Writers group here in Plymouth, England some years ago. It helped me in many ways - but most notably to overcome my shyness of reading aloud in public. My first attempt at an Open Mic Night was nerve-racking. Afterwards, I wondered why I'd been so scared.

With local writing groups, the friendships forged and experience of writing with others is a growing experience. If you haven't tried collaborative writing, don't be shy - give it a go! I hope you'll all be part of Whispers for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Jack Horne
Whisper’ Activity Feature Editor

12 comments:

  1. Dear Jack,

    Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with our Whispers' community. We hope to provide a variety of experiences and thoughts for both our contributors and readers. I really appreciate all that you and Inge are doing for me and others.

    Blessings always,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack we have a thriving poetry scene on the Isle of Man, I have taken part in open mic events and will be reciting some of my limericks at an Irish night next month. I'm not part of a writing group but i do perform occasionally with a group of like minded humorous poets where we raise money for charity:-) jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack, yes I can empathise with public speaking nerves. I also agree how supportive the friendship of poetry groups can be. Keep up the great work you are doing. BFN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack,
    I don't do writing groups anymore, but I do like to attend at least 2 poetry readings a month. Performing your poetry and seeing the audience reactions are just as rewarding, I believe.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jack, enjoyed reading your thoughts, my friend! I must admit that I wasn't shy when I had my first reading many years ago and the last also years ago in Poland at an arts exhibition. But I'm also not so keen to read in public, although I had nice reactions from the audience. We don't have a writing group here and I'm also the only one listed as a writer and poet in our area. Love from Gert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jack. I liked your thoughts on poetry reading. Thanks Karen, Jan, David. & Gert for your nice comments. I only attended two poetry readings in my life. The first was an extract money from me for talent I had not yet developed, & the 2nd was to poetry reading where I could not read my own......Knight Writer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack, you are a lovely man and an inspiration. Thank you for all you do on behalf of poets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jack,

    I can imagine joining a poetry can both be inspirational and inspirational. Personally, I'm not a member of one of these groups thought I joined several Facebook Group who also have the same goal, namely the love for the written word. I have written with several other poets, including you and Gert, and I think writing collaborative poetry is fun and rewarding. I was also insecure at first but can heartily agree with you 'give it a go'

    Love,
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the great responses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jack,

    Thank you for all you do here at Whispers and beyond.

    -MJ

    ReplyDelete