Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Highest Awards--By Russell Sivey--United States

Highest Awards

I enjoy the finest sights of the high
those that entertain my mind’s eye
and proclaim my desires to seek
the highest awards of the dark sky.

The heavens glow with the pinpricks
of the greatest and most gorgeous
light from all the ages gone in the past
and those that are to become true.

Without a notice of grandeur
they filter the sky with minor light
and I enjoy their lovely development
of mighty beauty, of their justification.

Now I seek imitations of their fine
but noticeable position within the high
stations of the universe, unlike my
humble existence here, lonely and plain.

For the next moment I feel their
honored presence before me and harbor
their light, growing with each breath
and living between my life and theirs.

I wrote this after my Uncle died. This poem helped me get through the loneliness and sorrow that I felt after he passed away. 


Russell Sivey lives in the United States and has been writing poetry for 26 years (after his major car accident that left his arm paralyzed). He has been improving year after year. Russell enjoys reading poetry as well as writing it He finds himself listening to almost any type of music. Russell has been with Poetry Soup for almost 3 years and enjoys the poetry that he reads there from his friends. He is currently attending school for a Creative Writing degree with a specialization in Poetry. Yes, that means he will have a poetry degree. He looks forward to reading everyone's poems here on this site. His muse is the moon.

16 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem of being surrounded by spirit Russell. I have noticed the transformation in your poetry. I believe your goal will exalt you to greater heights
    my friend. This poem shines! Aloha, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Russell,

    This is a lovely, introspective poem, Russell. It speaks to me in such a profound way and your imagery is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your words with us all.

    Sandra Stefanowich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Russell...A heartfelt poem! People cope with grief in different ways. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rusty,
    A good poem. Your uncle would be proud.
    Your friend,
    David Fox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Robert Hinshaw, for the following--

    For Russ Sivey: Great to hear from you! Many thanks for your kind comments re "The Widows Walk". Your poem "Highest Awards" is a wonderful tribute to your uncle - so insightful. Best to you as you continue your poetical journey - Bob Hinshaw

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful, Rusty, how you are able to use poetry to transcend a sad event. Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It never ceases to amaze me, how writing soothes and heals the soul. Blessings as you continue growing in your poetry. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful, heartfelt piece, my friend. Good to see you here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Gerald Heyder, for the following--

    Dear Russell, thank you for enjoying my poem. Your poem, "Highest Awards", makes me think of the northern lights as a kaleidoscope glorifying the life and passing someone who is very dear and special. Well-written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Suzanne Clement, for the following--

    Good words, Russell! Your poem makes me think of the Northern Lights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i concur with the emotions of your poem, i lost an uncle too some years ago...looking for the world beyond through the sky...tapping into spirituality...looking for answers...purity and perfection, lovely poem Russell...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Eleanor Michael, for the following--

    There is peace to be found in the night sky when we think of the stars as our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, John Williams, for the following--

    I've always loved and enjoyed stars. The vast host of lights are indeed precious gifts. Thank you for your beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, John Polselli, for the following--

    Enjoyed the beauty and honesty of your poem, and its call for us to look on high even when we're feeling low. Thank you for sharing this uplifting poem, Russell. My sincerest condolences with regard to your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Richard Sponaugle, for the following--

    Very enjoyable, atmospheric. Excellent use of language and very heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Barbara Siekierski, for the following--

    Nice poem about dying and going to heaven and remembering their loved ones. He has eternal life and will see him again some day.

    ReplyDelete