Sunday, July 26, 2015

In The Quiet of the Night--By Lisa DeVinney--United States

In The Quiet of the Night

I’m listening in the quiet of the night;
As leaves are rustling softly in the wind.
I strain to hear the voice of my Beloved,
For I have fixed my heart on only Him.

I wait, but my Beloved has not come.
I must remain awake, to hear His call.
His voice is sometimes softer than a whisper.
If I should sleep, I won’t hear Him at all.

There…I hear Him now. His voice like music
Gently lulls my anxious heart to sleep;
Whispering that He’ll stay with me forever.
And as I dream, my heart He’ll safely keep.

Oh, my Beloved, stay with me tonight.
And wake me gently with the morning light.

Lisa DeVinney is a homemaker and mother of six in upstate New York. She enjoys photography and writing devotional poetry in her spare time. Lisa is the author of several books, including a devotional entitled I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes. She also maintains her own website at liftingmyeyes.com

16 comments:

  1. So lovely. Somewhat reminds me of the prayer that mother taught us when we were young. It started "now lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to take." The completion is to strange to complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I know just the prayer you're thinking of. Funny how those childhood rhymes and prayers can stick with us. Blessings! Lisa

      Delete
  2. Wow, this poem is truly phenomenal. I am utterly amazed by the power that exudes from the very fabric of this awesome piece! You have given me a lovely poem to treasure here with this write. I will keep this one in my heart. Great work,

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Russell. This poem was inspired by a passage in the Song of Solomon. I'm glad you were blessed. :) Lisa

      Delete
  3. wonderful write - I see it was based on the Song of Solomon. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jack. Yes, I love the Song of Solomon and the picture it creates of God's love for me. Inspiring. :) Blessings, Lisa

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Ntchindi. Blessings! Lisa

      Delete
  5. It tantalizes us with succulent imagery to seduce us with the nectar of poetic creativity. Well done. Emile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you were touched by the poem. God's Word, and especially the Song of Solomon, is always inspiring. Blessings! Lisa

      Delete
  6. Lisa, I thoroughly enjoyed this lovely poem reminding me of the Lord's promise to be with me always. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with this well written piece.
    Love, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Charlene. God's promises are certainly the sweetest! :) Blessings! Lisa

      Delete
  7. Hi Lisa. This is an emotional, magnificent poem. I especially love the opening two lines. I really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts with me, Maurice. I'm glad to know you were blessed. :) Blessings, Lisa

      Delete