Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Ambivalent Autumn--By Joyce I. Johnson--United States

Ambivalent Autumn

Audacious Autumn rushes in,
making her way on Summer's heels.
bringing along big pots of paints.
She instantly Summer's thunder steals.
Vivid hues and ripening fruits
are some of the gifts she brings to all,
lavishly bestowing them on
each of us as we worship fall.
Nodding with glee, she mixes blends,
Turning the greens to shades of brown.

As Summer fades, we wave goodbye,
utterly charmed by Autumn the clown.
Tenth month October takes her turn,
unlike ninth month, aloof and cool.
Mist, rain and wind are her late gifts.
Naughty Autumn plays game of fool.

Joyce I. Johnson lives in the beautiful Skagit Valley of Washington State. She owns a small farm and rents her land to a bulb grower. She is surrounded by beauty in the spring from the tulips and daffodils that inspire much of her poetry. Joyce celebrated her 96th birthday in July of 2014.

6 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous poem, you have written on my favorite time of the year, autumn! What an amazing piece you have here. I really enjoyed reading this fantastic write this morning. Great work.

    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Joyce. It is good to see your poetry here at Whispers once again. I love the seasonal poem and "Ambivalent Autumn" is such a nicely-written and fun poem. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, I enjoyed your poem about autumn, my favorite season without question! Your words were delightful to read. Thanks for sharing. Good wishes, Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this, Joyce - yes, I often think Autumn is like a naughty child

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your vivid imagery and use of personification make this a fun poem to read, Joyce. Thank you for sharing this seasonal delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, this poem left me with a big smile and it was a real joy to read my friend. I hope you enjoy autumn as much as I do. Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete