Thursday, October 8, 2015

Those Were the Days--By George L. Ellison--England

Those Were the Days

English rural country life
Hear church bells toll, See birds take flight
As I wander down the hedge-lined lane
Thinking of my youth again

Hurrying to do my chores
Then playing conkers with the boy next door
Staying out till fall of night, do I have to come in?
Yes, it’s bath-time, all right?

Until tomorrow, I’ll see you again,
All right, till then, I should go in.
Those were the days, when we’d run and hide,
We’d leave our doors open wide.

No one thought to rob you then,
There was nothing much to steal,
Unlike in this present day, 
When they’d take whatever they see.

I still look at the old days, through rose tinted glasses,
When the boys were the lads and the girls were the lasses.
If only the circle, could turn back again,
But unlike our successors, we can all but dream!

George L. Ellison is a writer of poetry and  short stories. He as published two books called Poetic Reminiscences and Weaving Words.  George lives with his wife and dogs in Chester-Le-Street, County Durham in England. He is a member of The Writers and Poetry Alliance. He is currently working on his new project as well as learning to play the saxophone at the Sage Gateshead!

10 comments:

  1. Hi George. I have again enjoyed when you put pen to paper. These types of poems really touch my heart. Thank you for sharing it. Continued blessings!

    -MJ (www.tgbtgpublictions.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maurice for reading and replying to my poem, I thought this poem was long forgotten by the Poetry alliance of which Karen and I are member of then Erich Goller found it and put in his poem from a poem section so I edited the poem slightly and sent it to Karen for you to read also I'm pleased you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!...G

      Delete
  2. Warmest remembrance - those times, those lads, those lasses - they are a world that belonged to us and surely deserves all poetic approach for never be forgotten. My past, although has not be lived in England, evokes happy feelings like these of so inspired a poet. Glad to read this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our early memories to fall back on Edilson I'm pleased you enjoyed reading some of mine

      Thank you for reading and replying it is very much appreciated!...G

      Delete
  3. George, I really enjoyed reading your reminiscent poem. Brought back memories of my childhood too. Thank you for sharing your talent in this well written fun read.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene for reading and replying to my poem, as I said to Maurice I thought this poem was long forgotten by the Poetry alliance of which Karen and I are members of then Erich Goller found it and put in his poem from a poem section so I edited the poem slightly and sent it to Karen for you to read also I'm pleased you enjoyed the trip down memory lane!...G

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! This is such a memorable write. My grandparents remember such times when nothing was locked and everything was left out in the yard for anyone to use if they needed it. Things were different then. Those were the depression years when things were very tight and you learned to share with your neighbors. The way society is now, you can't trust anyone. You will be taken advantage of anymore. It's sad really. My grandparents are in their 90's and they remember those rough days. This poem brought back memories of when they had fun during those years, and their stories they always tell brings back to me memories of this time. A time almost forgotten. Thank you for this awesome write. What a beloved piece, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rusty for your reading and replying in such an excellent way I appreciate your comments very much!

    Those were the days indeed, I don't think we'll see the like of it again!!

    Thanks again!...G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your write George. Will use the halcyon-days approach for a haibun, I have in mind. Inspired by your work. Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to reading it Ralph thank you for reading and for being so inspired!

    I feel truly honoured that you should do so!

    Blessings

    George

    ReplyDelete